Nick Joyce

Nick Joyce

Thursday 23 July 2009

CELEBRITY-PROOF



It can be funny to be partially sighted at times. Quite apart from the fact that life regularly treats you to both legal and free psychedelic flashbacks, it also makes you immune to celebrity. I was reminded of this last week when I interviewed British band Muse, whose upcoming album “The Resistance” incidentally contains three of the best songs they’ve ever written as well as a three part symphony. After the final interview (the band insists that journalists meet all three members to take the media focus off front man and songwriter Matthew Bellamy), I checked my recordings and set off across the outdoor terrace of the Dolder hotel perched above Zurich. On my way to the exit I encountered a man with garish sunglasses and a light blue top who seemed to be circling me with a quizzical expression on his face. I’d almost passed him by the time I realised that he was Matthew Bellamy who I’d interviewed only ten minutes before, so I proffered my hand to redress my fauxpas. It must have been quite unusual for Mr. Bellamy to be so unmemorable as to have his face forgotten so quickly, but as I’d told him about my poor eyesight at the beginning of our conversation, he reacted with grace and humour. I then managed to get lost in the dimly light corridors of the Dolder, and that’s the down-side of being partially sighted: You might be celebrity-proof, but any alien architecture is likely to make you question your sense of direction and reality in general.

No comments: